Tuition and Financial Aid

The M.A. program in Digital Studies involves a considerable investment of your money and time, and we strive to be open and honest about the expenses associated with attending the University of Chicago. The University also offers fellowship opportunities and loan options to help finance your education.

Tuition, Fees, and Expenses

Full-time students take three courses for credit per quarter. The current schedule of fees can be found on the website of the Office of the Bursar. In addition to tuition fees, this website contains information about student health insurance premiums and other applicable fees. A summary of the cost of attendance can be found here.

Financial Aid

A number of partial-tuition scholarships are awarded each year to applicants who demonstrate exceptional academic promise. The amounts of the scholarships vary; the largest are typically around one-third of the tuition fee. There is no separate application process for these scholarships. Recipients are notified when they receive their admission decision. Information about financial aid for graduate students can be found on the website of the Office of Financial Aid.


Student Loans

Many students take out loans to help finance their education. All students interested in receiving U.S. federal grants, loans, and work-study funds should fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The Office of Financial Aid is the best resource for information on student loans, whether federal or private, at the University of Chicago.

International Students

Since international students are not eligible for U.S. federal loans, grants, or work-study, financing an M.A. degree can be more challenging. The Office of International Affairs has an extensive list of resources for international students looking for financial aid.

Outside Fellowships

The website of UChicagoGRAD provides a list of fellowships and funding options for graduate programs, including a searchable Fellowship Database.


Student Employment

Students may also supplement their finances with student employment; however, we encourage students to work no more than 12 hours per week. All students interested in participating in the U.S. federal work-study program should fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Although international students are not eligible for federal work-study aid, most can work on campus. More information on international student employment can be found on the website of the Office of International Affairs.
Scroll to Top